The Indigo Epic Trail is a new 56km mountain bike trail linking Beechworth and Yackandandah, in North East Victoria. It was officially opened in March 2023.
This world class trail has been designed to be a fun and exciting experience for riders of all levels. Experienced mountain bikers will be challenged with plenty of technical features and diverse terrain. Less experienced riders will love the flowy trails and stunning scenery.
Where is the trail located?
The Indigo Epic trail has been designed to start and finish in Beechworth, Victoria. The trail connects the two picturesque towns of Beechworth and Yackandandah in North East Victoria. Beechworth is about 3 hours’ drive from Melbourne is renowned for its gold mining history, extensive mountain bike trail networks and gourmet food and wine.
How long is the Indigo Epic trail?
The Epic is 56km long and in a helix loop design. The trail links the two historic towns of Beechworth and Yackandandah in Victoria’s High Country. The well thought out design means the trail can be done as a full loop or cut down to shorter loops.
Is it open year-round?
Yes! The trail is an all season trail, open year around. We reckon some of the best riding will be during the winter with the beautiful crisp, sunny High Country Victoria days. If you decide to check out the trail in Winter, be sure to bring extra layers as it gets cold here.
What are the key features of the trail?
The key features include:
- Technical terrain: The single track has several A and B line options and a range of features including sculpted berms, doubles, rock features, gaps, hip jumps and step-ups.
- Accessibility: The trail is accessible to riders of all levels, with a range of easier and more difficult sections to suit different skill and fitness levels.
- Scenic views: The trail winds through some of the most beautiful scenery in the area, including dense forests, pine forests, ferns, bridges and ridgeline views.
- Sustainability: The trail was designed and built with sustainability in mind using environmentally friendly materials and techniques to minimize its impact on the surrounding ecosystems. It has also increased access for weed infestation treatment in the area.
- Community support: The trail was designed and built through partnership between the Indigo Shire Council and local mountain bike groups. The local mountain bike groups of Beechworth and Yackandandah are passionate about maintaining the trails to the highest standard.
What is an “Epic Trail”?
The International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) sets out the criteria for Epic Trails. The criteria the trail must meet to be described as an Epic Trail is that it’s a “true backcountry riding experience. IMBA EPICS are what many mountain bikers live for and make travel plans around: immersive rides that are technically and physically challenging, beautiful to behold and worthy of celebration. EPICS are demanding, majority singletrack trail experiences in a natural setting and at least 32kms in length.”
Who is this trail for?
The Indigo Epic trail is a Blue trail, meaning it’s designed for intermediate riders. Mountain biking enthusiasts that are looking for an adventurous and rewarding experience will love this trail. Having said that there are easier single-track sections (but still extremely fun for all levels), particularly the Beechworth single track loop which is enjoyable for most riders.
The trails have stunning flowy downhill descents and undulating climbs. Given the up and downs involved we believe an e-mountain bike is the way to go to maximise your fun on the trail.
What other mountain biking trails are in the area?
Beechworth and Yackandandah both have their own mountain bike parks in addition to the Indigo Epic Trail. In addition, there are a plethora of exciting, unmarked mountain biking trails in the area.
Beechworth is all about the granite rock features, technical singletrack and lots of climbing with great descents all set in beautiful Victorian bushland. Beechworth Mountain Bike Park is a short ride from the beginning and end of the Indigo Epic Trail.
Yackandandah Mountain Bike Park has about 50km of mountain bike single track showcasing the area’s mining history and flowy trails. The Indigo Epic Trail joins up with the Yackandandah trail network.
Overall, the new Indigo Epic Trail in Beechworth is a mountain bikers dream come true and a trail to not to be missed. Bring your family, enjoy the local gourmet food and wine and stay in one of the many accommodation options.